Poison ivy rash is known as an allergic reaction to poison ivy that is a very common plant in the U.S. Kids are often the victim of poison ivy rash because of their curiosity and playfulness as these plants can be seen in the backyard or on the gardening tool, kids like to touch things that are new to them. Once the poison ivy plant is touched an oil called urushiol can cause an allergic skin reaction.
If your child has a swollen red patch on their body, then your child might have poison ivy rash. Here are some of the remedies to treat and help relieve the itch and prevent infection:
- Bathe your child in water with colloidal oatmeal.
- Apply a cool or wet compress to the affected area to soothe the skin and help dry up.
- Cold compress the affected area of your children’s skin or a cool bath with little baking soda or Epsom salt.
- Rub the affected area gently with an ice cube for 10 to 20 minutes several times a day.
- Apply 1% hydrocortisone cream to the affected area to decrease the inflammation.
- Apply calamine lotion 3 to 4 times a day to help soothe the itch.
- Children 12 years and older can use Oral Ivy for treating poison ivy symptoms. Put 10 drops of oral ivy in 2 ounces of water every 2 hours as needed. As symptoms improve, reduce it to once every 4 hours, then twice daily until symptoms disappear. Place drops under tongue in 2 ounces of water at least 15 minutes before or half hour after eating, brushing teeth or drinking anything except water. Children under 12 years of age: consult a physician for use.
- Try an oral antihistamine to reduce the itch most especially at night.
- Trim your child’s nails to help prevent scraping the skin that might lead to infection.
Remember, to call the health care provider if your child has suffered the following:
- Severe rash
- Rash on his or her face
- Symptoms not relieved by over-the-counter medicine
- Signs of a skin infection, such as increased redness or swelling
Lastly, a poison ivy rash can be prevented by avoiding contact with the plant. Since it has no cure, the best prevention is to educate your child about poisonous plants and remind them to stay away from them at all cost.